Sunday, 8 March 2015

The Hunchback of Notre Dame Nail Art



Hi everyone... Today I've done some Disney nail art! I've seen lots of Princesses floating around Instagram and Tumblr recently, in particular Ariel and Snow White, so I thought I'd join in the fun. Back in 2013 I tried my hand at a Pocahontas mani, which turned out pretty well considering I hadn't been doing nail art for that long. Now that I look back, I realise it was rather lacking in terms of detail, and the colours are kind of off, and the finish just isn't that great... But we are our own worst critics after all! Anyway, today I went for another Disney favourite The Hunchback of Notre Dame, recreating Esmerelda and her little goat Djali.


Essie 'White'
Models Own 'Utopia'
Kiko Cosmetics 'Prestigious Taupe'
Kiko Cosmetics 'Suggestive Red'
Kiko Cosmetics 'Irresistible Orchid'
Kiko Cosmetics 'Slick Bluenoir'
OPI 'Antie-Bleak'
OPI 'Candlelight'
No. 7 'Beanie'
No. 7 'Totally Teal'
Nella Milano 'Turquoise'
Barry M 'Papaya'
Barry M 'Yellow'
Barry M 'Shocking Pink'
Barry M 'Caspian'
Rimmel 'Grey Matter'
Essie 'Good To Go'
Medium nail art paint brush
Small nail art paint brush
Kitchen sponge

As you can see, I used a lot of equipment for this manicure! I'll start with the simple nails - these are just two coats of 'Irresistible Orchid' with OPI 'Anti-Bleak' sponged on the tips. I also added a light sponging of Barry M 'Caspian', which is a gorgeous shimmery gold polish. And of course I finished off with a coat of 'Good To Go'.

Okay, now for the complicated nails... For both, I created a base using Barry M 'Papaya', and once dry I painted on the block shapes of the characters in white. This provided a nice clean background for the rest of the polish that would be layered on top! For Esmerelda, I painted the shape of her head and neck using 'Prestigious Taupe' and created the shadows using 'Beanie', and then did her hair in black. Her head scarf is 'Irresistible Orchid' and 'Shocking Pink', with a light black outline to create some depth. For her eyes, I painted the base in white and then added a small dot of Nella Miano 'Turquoise', before popping on a little bit of 'Totally Teal' and a glint of white. I then outlined in black. The final touches were her mouth and earring, both of which were extremely fiddly! I wish I had trimmed my paint brush down even more to get the tiniest details, but I'm still pretty happy with the result.

For the goat, I used a combination of white, Models Own 'Utopia' and Rimmel 'Grey Matter'. The inside of his ears is the same purple I used for Esmerelda's head scarf, along with the inside of his mouth - I always like to stick to the same palette (albeit massive this time) because it ensures the manicure ties together nicely. I actually found Djali a lot easier than Esmerelda, despite his facial features being more complicated - I suppose its because you can get away with animals not looking quite right, whereas faces are less forgiving when it comes to looking realistic.

Let me know what you think :) I must admit my clean up isn't fantastic and my fingers are a peculiar shade of purple after the sponging (Kiko Cosmetics polishes are seriously stubborn), but I'm still pleased with my design and feel it's a massive step forward from Pocahontas!




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Little Tip Off | UK Nail Art Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig