Saturday, 16 November 2013

Cath Kidston Tea Set Nail Art: A Mani for Tea Lovers

Hi guys! Today I've created a design that will (hopefully) be enjoyed by those of you with a serious floral and/or tea addiction. Now, while I am more likely to accept a huge mug of coffee than a dainty little cup of tea, I've always had a soft spot for the British tradition of obsessive compulsive tea drinking. After all, a cup of tea solves everything, right? I decided to make my tea set extremely girly, and added lots of roses and pink details. Though I hadn't checked prior to starting the design, I now realise that it's rather reminiscent of this Cath Kidston set. You probably won't believe me when I say that it was a really easy manicure, but seriously, it was! I was totally surprised when I managed to knock it together in an hour or so. So if you fancy having a go yourself, just keep on reading...

The equipment:

Sinful Colors 'Easy Going'
Sinful Colors 'Snow Me White'
Sinful Colors 'Island Coral'
Sinful Colors 'Pistache'
Barry M 'Shocking Pink'
No. 7 'Totally Teal'
Models Own 'Utopia'
e.l.f. Cosmetics 'Nude'
Essie 'Good To Go'
Fine nail art paint brush

I used 'Easy Going' as a base, which is a gorgeous, ultra-pale pink. It's a good alternative to plain old white, which I knew I couldn't use as it would be the base colour for my tea set. Sinful Colors polishes normally take three coats, and the drying time isn't great, but for £1.99 a pop they are definitely worth it! When my bases were dry, I used a fine nail art paint brush to apply the shapes for my tea set items. For the teapot, I painted a 'squashed' circle and a spout. The biscuit tin is a simple rectangle, the teacup a 'squashed' semicircle, the sugar bowl another circle, and the milk jug a slightly rounded rectangle with a pointy tip. Once dry, I went over each shape again to ensure opacity.

To achieve the floral design, I added tiny blobs of 'Island Coral' all over the white shapes. Then I added some leaves using 'Pistache'. For more details, I used 'Shocking Pink' and 'Totally Teal'. At this point, the whole manicure didn't really resemble a tea set, so I had to keep working on the shapes. 
I used 'Utopia' for fine outlines, lids and shadows. I also filled the tea cup with 'Nude', to make it look like tea. For handles and bases, I used a combination of 'Shocking Pink' and 'Island Coral'. The biscuit tin and sugar bowl needed lids, so I applied little dots to the tops. 
I think the tea pot is the best part of this manicure, mainly because it's got a more interesting shape. When everything was complete, I toyed with the idea of mattifying, but decided I quite liked the sheen of a shiny top coat. So I used my favourite, Essie 'Good To Go', to seal everything in. What do you think? Let me know!
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Omg, Amy you are just incredible! I love flowery patterns but I'm totally untallented to paint them. I'm stunned because here you have done miracles! Small flowers on the tea pot! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! Adore all your nail art you are amazing! Would love it if you would take a look at my blog http://insamazement.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete

© Little Tip Off | UK Nail Art Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig