Sunday, 23 June 2013

7 Deadly Sins - Wrath






































Hi guys :) This is my final manicure for my self-assigned theme of the Seven Deadly Sins. Today it's 'Wrath', and I really struggled to come up with a design to represent anger. Luckily, I'd just researched a few water spotting tutorials, and decided that combining red, orange and yellow would create a lovely fiery background. So, I set to work with water spotting (I made a BIG mess...), and once they were complete, my better half suggested a volcano design. I suppose volcanoes are angry in terms of natural disasters, so I'm not straying too far from the actual sin. Anyway, here's the tutorial...
The equipment:

Barry M Limited Edition 'Yellow'
Models Own 'Fuzzy Peach'
Classic red
W7 'Black'
Fine nail art paint brush
A plastic cup
Water
Hairspray
Nail polish remover
Cotton buds
Models Own 3-in-1 clear coat

I started out with my bases, alternating yellow and orange ('Fuzzy Peach', but it's technically orange!) on my nails. Then, while they were drying, I set up my water spotting tools. I used bottled water in a plastic cup, and made sure it was around room temperature. Then I got all of my polishes ready with the lids off, as you have to work quickly!
So here is the dry yellow base of my middle finger. I took the orange nail polish and dripped it into the water, and waited a couple of seconds for it to spread. I swirled the water gently to help with this process, and then when I was ready, I took my hairspray and held it around 10cm away from the cup. I squirted VERY gently, because if you squirt too hard/too much, the nail varnish just shrinks away and turns into a tiny little ball.
I dipped my finger into the water spotted nail varnish, then pulled it out carefully. Sometimes it clings to itself and piles up on your nail, so it's a good idea to have your other hand (or an implement, such as a cocktail stick) ready to catch any residue. I let it dry, and repeated the process with red nail varnish.
So here's the final product. It looks kind of gross prior to the cleaning process... Never mind! I used a cotton bud soaked in nail varnish remover to get rid of the excess, and added a clear top coat to save it from chipping.
As I had alternated the base colours of my nails, the ones with a 'Fuzzy Peach' base received water spotting with yellow and then red. The effect varied between each of my nails, which is perfect for a volcano design, because it looks just like bubbling lava. When they were all dry, I took my fine paintbrush and added the volcano design in black. I think the manicure looks good without the addition of a volcano, but it just seemed too perfect to not attempt. What do you think? Have you ever water spotted your nails?
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Very nice !
    I've tried but its never worked lol
    http://lushcherry.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first few attempts failed miserably, but I kept on tweaking the method and eventually it worked :) I'll always recommend bottled water at room temperature, that seems to help! x

      Delete
  2. They are works of art! Where do you come up with your ideas? Amazing!

    Rebecca at My Pretty Yorkshire Life. Member and owner of Yorkshire Bloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! This idea technically wasn't mine (my boyfriend suggested turning them into volcanoes), but most of the time I just pick out a colour and see where I go from there :) I always like to try something unusual because there's soooo many nail art blogs out there, I like to be different! x

      Delete
  3. Woohoo! that oughta be one furious volcano! ;D Love how you achieved the effect! The colours are spot on once again so is the design! I love waterspotted effects, but dislike the mess. It's going to be a long while before I ever consider doing it. Nevertheless, I love seeing how others did theirs. It's always inspiring! :D ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I made SUCH a mess, but I always do anyway so it wasn't a surprise! My living room is absolutely covered in nail varnish stains and glitter... Not to mention the acetone that has ruined the coffee table... Never mind! :D xxx

      Delete

© Little Tip Off | UK Nail Art Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig